The all-white reinvention of Medieval Europe commonly depicted in popular fiction, films, tv shows and art is entirely that: a fiction. An invention. An erasure. Obviously, people of color have been an essential and integral part of European life, European art, and European literary imagination since time immemorial. To cite “historical accuracy” as a means to project whitewashed images of the past into the future to maintain a fiction of white supremacy is an unconscionable farce.
People of Color are not an anachronism.
3. Sir Morien, Black Knight of the Round Table (c. 1200s)
5. Sancho I of Castile and Léon (c. 1129)
7. Mulay Ahmad portrait by Rubens (1609)
8. Adoration of the Magi by David (c. 1490)
9. special post about the Fayoum Mummy Portraits (c. 100 B.C.E.)
10. Miniature from a Psalter, Including a Calendar (c. 1240)
this was written in 1322
i can’t imagine how hard it must have been struggling with gender shit back when physical transition was a total impossibility, even theoretically
i’m trying hard not to cry
we have a history. we have existed in every culture of the world at every moment of human history. cis institutions have tried to suppress this history or claim it as their own but it is not theirs. it is ours, and always will be. we must uncover and reclaim more of our history, and we must make more ourselves
I was recently commissioned to photograph five generations of descendants of Solomon Northup, author of “12 Years a Slave”. The feature can be seen in this week’s newsstand ‘Oscar’s Edition’ of The Hollywood Reporter as well as here.
However small, I feel honored to play a role in the sharing of Solomon Northup’s legacy. It was definitely an experience that I’ll always treasure. Enjoy!
A poster on Reddit asks: What are two events that took place in the same time in history but don’t seem like they would have?
Spain was still a fascist dictatorship when Microsoft was founded.
There were no classes…
Before they came out the caves, we were already the masters of science, mathematics, writing and culture. #wisdom #timbuktu #mali #ghana #africa #blackexcellence #knowthyselfit would be helpful if there were some links to news reports and perhaps pdfs or translations or something but here:
I was taught just last term in my Archaeology class that Africans had no written documents.
Fall 2012, folks.
This makes me sO IRRATIONALLY ANGRY BECAUSE ANCIENT CULTURES FASCINATE ME WHYYYYYY!?!??
“Space Jam is one of those rare movies that manage to be utterly psychotic both on paper and in execution. There were no ‘Oh, it’ll make sense once you see the finished product’ conversations held about Space Jam. The initial pitch was never distilled into anything more coherent than ‘Michael Jordan teams up with a bunch of licensed cartoon characters to defeat aliens at basketball’ and was only ever revised to include the addendum ‘And also Bill Murray is in it, as Bill Murray.’” — Tom Reimann
Yo let’s not!
Before I get into it, just know the pictures just serve as visual representations, not actual pictures
Okay so anyway, evidence for this theory is the following:
THE FACT THAT HUMANS ARE SO HAIRLESS:
Only two kind of habitats give rise to hairless animals, an aquatic one and a one below the ground (a naked mole rat for example)
.The suggestion that humans have become hairless to prevent overheating has been rendered false because hair can act like a defense against the sun.
This is why camels retain their fur even in the hot dessert environment.
OUR FAT CELLS
We have ten times the number of fat cells as expected in an animal our size. Only two types of animals have large fat cells: hibernating and aquatic ones.
In hibernating it’s seasonal fat, but in aquatic it’s all year round. It’s unreasonable to think that we evolved this feature in land because large fat pockets would have just slowed us down.
Primate babies are always born slender, but human babies start to develop fat even before birth.
WALKING ON TWO LEGS
So we’re the only mammals that have developed bipedalism. This is a surprise, because walking on 2 legs vs. walking on 4 legs is very disadvantageous. It’s slower, unstable, our organs are vulnerable to damage.
One theory is that if our habitat was flooded, we’d have to walk on two legs to keep our heads above the water.
The only animal who has ever evolved a pelvis like ours, the swamp ape, used this method.
We have conscious control over our breathing. Ever other land animal doesn’t. Mammals like dolphins and seals also conscious control because it tells them how deep they are going to dive and they can estimate how much air they need to inhale.
Our body is so wasteful of salt and water. Think of tears and our way of sweating. Other land mammals don’t have this. Water mammals do however.
Okay anyway I hope you learned something.
Here’s a source and where you can find more information: X
For more interesting posts like this, go here: X
WOAH HOLD IT DERE. Could this also be the reason why mythologies from every continent have a flood myth
Is it because it happened along our evolutionary chain and caused so much development that we’ve refused to forget it?
ok so it’s a total crack theory without much/any real evidence but still fun to read. I guess I just enjoy the creativity. I mean you could write some pretty cool fiction about mermaids and the flood myths and prehistoric global warming
Traces of coca and nicotine found in Egyptian mummies - WTF fun facts
well DUH. a lot of historians are still trying to process the fact that ancient egyptians knew how to build boats, which is ridiculous. why would they not be seafarers and explorers?
this is not new or surprising information at all. it pretty much day one of any african-american studies course.
the egyptians knew that if they put their boats in front of the summer storm winds it’d blow them right across the sea to the Americas and they shared that with the greeks.
It’s really hard for people to understand that everyone had boats, exploration, and trade interactions without the same level of murder, colonization, and violence that the Europeans did. It’s really hard for people to get that.
it was hard as hell for me to even grasp it honestly with how much you hear about white people did this and white people did that in school you honestly just started to kinda slowly believe they DID do everything and that’s how u kno we’re still fucking with white supremacist tendencies
damn so thats how the egyptians finished all those pyramids they were coked the hell up
so what feminists have been saying for years and years is true. women have always been involved in hunting, have been warriors and have made art. women have been inventors and made great discoveries… and women experts are finally breaking through the sexism to get the facts heard.
"But bone analysis revealed the prince holding the lance was actually a 35- to 40-year-old woman, whereas the second skeleton belonged to a man.
Given that, what do archaeologists make of the spear?
"The spear, most likely, was placed as a symbol of union between the two deceased," Mandolesi told Viterbo News 24 on Sept. 26.
Weingarten doesn’t believe the symbol of unity explanation. Instead, she thinks the spear shows the woman’s high status.
Their explanation is “highly unlikely,” Weingarten told LiveScience. “She was buried with it next to her, not him.”
The mix-up highlights just how easily both modern and old biases can color the interpretation of ancient graves.
In this instance, the lifestyles of the ancient Greeks and Romans may have skewed the view of the tomb. Whereas Greek women were cloistered away, Etruscan women, according to Greek historian Theopompus, were more carefree, working out, lounging nude, drinking freely, consorting with many men and raising children who did not know their fathers’ identities.
Instead of using objects found in a grave to interpret the sites, archaeologists should first rely on bone analysis or other sophisticated techniques before rushing to conclusions, Weingarten said.
"Until very recently, and sadly still in some countries, sex determination is based on grave goods. And that, in turn, is based almost entirely on our preconceptions. A clear illustration is jewelry: We associate jewelry with women, but that is nonsense in much of the ancient world," Weingarten said. "Guys liked bling, too.""
had prints are cave-art signatures…
"This is a surprise, since most archaeologists have assumed it was men who had been making the cave art. One interpretation is that early humans painted animals to influence the presence and fate of real animals that they’d find on their hunt, and it’s widely accepted that it was the men who found and killed dinner.
But a new study indicates that the majority of handprints found near cave art were made by women, based on their overall size and relative lengths of their fingers.
"The assumption that most people made was it had something to do with hunting magic," Penn State archaeologist Dean Snow, who has been scrutinizing hand prints for a decade, told NBC News. The new work challenges the theory that it was mostly men, who hunted, that made those first creative marks.
Another reason we thought it was men all along? Male archeologists from modern society where gender roles are rigid and well-defined — they found the art. “[M]ale archaeologists were doing the work,” Snow said, and it’s possible that “had something to do with it.” “
I can’t stop giggling over how DESPERATE male archelogists are to try and make up some bullshit to explain away the idea of women being warriors and hunters in the past
I’m still confused ._.
Art Nouveau is flowing like nature. Art deco is rigid and looks more man made.
The other cool thing about this, is that usually throughout art history, sst had taken on one style at a time, but these two very different styles were popular during the same time period.
What was that?
POCS were thriving and had expansive civilizations BEFORE white people came,colonized everything, and “discovered them”?
Go read the source article. And if you haven’t, go read “1491” by Charles Mann. Indigenous people in the Amazon actually found a way to farm that instead of wearing out the soil, actually IMPROVED it with extensive farming. It’s called terra preta and no one has been able to replicate it (not even living indigenous people), and if it were to become replicable it could have enormous impact on agriculture worldwide. #indigenoustechftw
Charles Mann states that for a long time (and still today) outsiders have thought of Amazonian Indian people as “remnants” of the most “primitive” state of humanity, when in fact evidence increasingly points to the idea that modern Amazonian indigenous ways of life are the result of massive upheaval in the face colonizing disease, warfare, land theft, and general genocide. That, effectively, modern Amazonian indigenous people are living in the aftermath of what probably looked a lot like an apocalypse to them.
Which, well, no duh.
Scientists examine a 15-year-old girl who lived in the Inca Empire, then was sacrificed and remained frozen for 500 years….
Unearthed in 1999 from the 22,000-foot summit of Mount Llullaillaco, a volcano 300 miles west of here near the Chilean border, their frozen bodies were among the best preserved mummies ever found, with internal organs intact, blood still present in the heart and lungs, and skin and facial features mostly unscathed. No special effort had been made to preserve them. The cold and the dry, thin air did all the work. They froze to death as they slept, and 500 years later still looked like sleeping children, not mummies.
This is “the maiden” and she is extraordinary. After a CAT scan or two it was determined that she had tuberculosis. Do you know what this means?!?!? It means that tuberculosis was a preexisting condition and not initially brought over to the Americas by Europeans. WOW
i like her shoes
Of all the fucking things to comment
those shoes are pretty sweet tho
- Women gained the right to vote in Canada before Aboriginal people did. Women’s suffrage was granted before World War II, but Aboriginal people had to wait until the late 60s to be allowed to vote. Aboriginal women? A few years after.
- Slavery happened in Canada. It’s our best kept secret. You won’t find anything on this in school textbooks. We gush about how we let the poor slaves running from the United States with open arms, but slavery was legal in Canada until 1833. Black and Aboriginal people were forced into slavery. Africans were imported as slaves to the rich whites.
- On that note, black slaves fleeing to Canada faced anything but a magical safe haven when they arrived in Canada. Segregation was alive and well, and in fact the last racially segregated school in Canada closed only in 1983.
- Just this year a Toronto police officer killed Syrian-born Torontonian Sammy Yatim when the 18 year old was alone in an empty streetcar armed with only a small knife. Sammy was shot nine times, and then tasered twice. Just so the police could make sure the kid was dead or something. (trigger warning for the link - it contains footage of a police shooting)
- In the city of Saskatoon in the province of Saskatchewan, an Aboriginal person is more likely to go to jail than to graduate high school, and we have the highest youth incarceration rate in Northern America. Police officers in Saskatoon have been taking Aboriginal people from the streets of Saskatoon and dumping them in the snow miles out of town to freeze to death possibly since 1976. At least three cases of people dying like this have been confirmed. Police officers received only 4 months in jail.
- During World War II, Canada forced Japanese people into internment camps. Families were separated, living conditions were poor, and even people who were Canadian-born for generations were interned on grounds of being enemy aliens and a threat to the nation. Italians, Germans and Ukranians were also interned but to a lesser extent.
- At least 60 women disappeared from Vancouver’s downtown east side over the span of 20 years. Most of these women were Aboriginal, sex workers, or drug users. The police didn’t much lift a finger to try and find out what was happening to all these ‘undesirables’, and so let serial killer Robert Pickton carry out gruesome murders safely for years upon years. Managed to be sexist and racist at the same time, nice!!
- Man, how could I forget the Oka Crisis, where the government sent in the military to quash a protest by Mohawk people protesting a golf course being built on their traditional burial grounds.
- And basically the same thing is happening in Elsipogtog right now.
But no man! We’re totally really nice, multicultural, maple syrup-and-poutine loving people. You totally want to move here because we have gay marriage, so clearly all our problems are solved.