As someone who wants to study the human consciousness I found this very interesting.
Scott Routley was a “vegetable”. A car accident seriously injured both sides of his brain, and for 12 years, he was completely unresponsive.
Unable to speak or track people with his eyes, it seemed that Routley was unaware of his surroundings, and doctors assumed he was lost in limbo. They were wrong.
In 2012, Professor Adrian Owen decided to run tests on comatose patients like Scott Routley. Curious if some “vegetables” were actually conscious, Owen put Routley in an fMRI and told him to imagine walking through his home. Suddenly, the brain scan showed activity. Routley not only heard Owen, he was responding.
Next, the two worked out a code. Owen asked a series of “yes or no” questions, and if the answer was “yes,” Routley thought about walking around his house. If the answer was “no,” Routley thought about playing tennis.
These different actions showed activity different parts of the brain. Owen started off with easy questions like, “Is the sky blue?” However, they changed medical science when Owen asked, “Are you in pain?” and Routley answered, “No.” It was the first time a comatose patient with serious brain damage had let doctors know about his condition.
While Scott Routley is still trapped in his body, he finally has a way to reach out to the people around him. This finding has huge implications.
HOLY STEAMING SHITFUCKS
WHY IS EVERYONE NOT LOSING THEIR SHIT ABOUT THIS
What a fucking nightmare, just kill me.
I know a girl who was hit by a drunk driver and in that state for a year. When she woke up the first thing she did was tell off the doctor who tried to convince her mom to pull the plug. She heard *everything* while being called brain dead.
so dad was in a coma before he passed away and it’s really good to know that he really might’ve heard what we all said to him and here i was thinking the doctors just said he could hear us to make us all feel better.
WHY YOU SHOULD DRINK A SHITLOAD OF WATER DAILY
Your brain is your biggest liquid asset. It is composed of more than 85 percent water. Little wonder then that if you are dehydrated, your thinking ability drops dramatically, as does the performance of your whole body.
● Water is 2nd only to oxygen in survival. A body can live for minutes without oxygen, for a few days without water, and several weeks without food.
● The human body is 60% water, blood is 90% water, muscles are 75% water, and bone is 25% water. Water is one of the main structures of the body. Drain your body of water you’ll be left with a few pounds of chemicals that are worth about $5 you guys!
●Your brain is 1/50 of your total body weight, but it receives 20% of the blood circulation, so 1/5 of your body’s water requirements come from your brain.
●Water balances and regulates almost every other system in the body — temperature regulation, digestion, and waste excretion. You cannot eliminate toxins from your body with insufficient water.
●Most headaches and feelings of fatigue are caused by dehydration.
●You lose about 10 cups of fluid each day in sweat, urine, and bowel movements. Even the air you exhale contains vital water vapor.
●If you wait until you are thirsty to drink, you are already dehydrated. Unlike hunger, thirst is a bad sign.
●Drinks that contain caffeine (colas and coffee) are diuretics, which means they lessen the body’s ability to absorb and retain water — they rob the body of water.
●It is the most time efficient way of improving your mood and overall performance. It takes seconds to drink a glass of water, but the benefits last for hours.
●Combined with a healthy lifestyle, drinking water increases weight loss."
SO. FUCKING. IMPORTANT.
Learning to speak to children in a constructive, positively reinforcing, non-abusive way (which was hard to unlearn due to my own abuse) is one of the most important things i have ever learned to do. It’s also dramatically changed how i speak with adults.
I think this is the most relevant thing I’ve seen on Tumblr
I wish my teachers would see this
When I’m a teacher, my students will see this at least 50 times throughout the school year.
"You have to learn to say no without feeling guilty. Setting boundaries is healthy. You need to learn to respect and take care of yourself."
1. Make a list of everything you need to do.
2. Prioritise the items on the list. (Task 1 by 9pm tomorrow; Task 2 by the weekend … and so on).
3. Pace yourself. Work on part of each task daily. Focus solely on that. Don’t think about the other tasks you still have to do.
4. Pay attention to your body clock. Are you a morning or evening person? Schedule your time and tasks so that they match the times of day when you are most productive.
5. Manage your time to maximise your effectiveness. For example, work in thirty minute chunks – then allow yourself a five minute break. Decide how long it will take to do a small portion of the task. Don’t try to complete the whole thing in one session.
6. When you are having a break, clear your mind and completely relax.
7. Keep track of your progress. When you complete a task, cross it off the list, as that feels rewarding and increases motivation.
8. Review, reassess and re-prioritize your list from time to time. Some tasks can be eliminated, some may need more time, you may need help from others for some tasks, and you may find some can be delegated.
9. Schedule in time for fun – otherwise you’ll lose your motivation to keep going.
10. Make sure you get enough sleep. Too little, and you cannot concentrate, focus, remember, or work efficiently.
Your first time is NOT supposed to hurt
You are NOT supposed to bleed
If you bleed, that is NOT your hymen being ‘popped’, it is a tear due to lack of sexual arousal and natural lubrication.
This is all a MYTH perpetrated by men so they don’t have to make sure you are comfortable and sufficiently aroused enough before you have sex with them. It is an excuse to disregard and hurt you.
I just really want women to know this.
Damn son our uterus stretches like 5x the size and then contracts and pushes a 7 pound baby out of a small tube into life if you think that isn’t metal as fuck get out of my face
YOUR ORGANS THOUGH IM SO SORRY LADIES
damn selfish babies taking up all the space
NAW MAN, LET ME FUCKING TELL YOU ABOUT PREGNANCY AND BABIES, ALRIGHT?
FIRST OF ALL, IT SUCKS DICK. FIRST OFF LET ME GIVE YOU A MOTHERFUCKING RUNDOWN ON WHAT YOU SHOULDN’T EAT OR DRINK WHEN YOU’RE PREGNANT.
- NO UNCOOKED ANYTHING IN FUCKING GENERAL ACTUALLY. AND ESPECIALLY NOT FISH.
- ANYTHING WITH CAFFEINE IN IT, WHICH INCLUDES COFFEE, SODA, CHOCOLATE (THAT’S RIGHT, NO CHOCOLATE), SEVERAL TYPES OF COOKIES AND CANDIES, AND ENERGY DRINKS.
- VEGETABLES AND MEATS THAT ARE RICH IN NITRATES LIKE HOTDOGS, SAUSAGE, LETTUCE, SPINACH AND CELERY.
SO BASICALLY IF YOU’RE USED TO EATING OR DRINKING ANY OF THOSE THINGS YOU BETTER BE PREPARED TO QUIT COLD TURKEY THE SECOND YOU GET PREGNANT.
NOW I’M NOT EVEN DONE. YOU SEE THAT PINK UPSIDE-DOWN TRIANGLE BELOW THE BABY’S HEAD? YEAH? THAT’S YOUR BLADDER. BABIES SQUEEZE DOWN ON THAT LIKE THERE’S NO TOMORROW AND ONCE YOU HIT THE THIRD TRIMESTER, YOU BASICALLY HAVE AN ELDERLY PERSON’S BLADDER. MY MOTHER TELLS ME SHE HAD TO GO TO THE BATHROOM AT LEAST 6 TIMES A DAY JUST SO SHE WOULDN’T WET HERSELF. ALSO WITH A BABY SQUEEZING’ UP AGAINST YOUR FUCKING INTESTINES LIKE THAT SAY HELLO TO CONSTIPATION NATION, EVERYONE.
SO NOT ONLY DO YOU HAVE THE BLADDER AND BOWELS OF AN OLD PERSON, BUT THAT GROWING HUMAN BEING GROWING OUT OF YOUR GULLET ALSO PUTS A HUUUUGE STRAIN ON YOUR BACK. NOT TO MENTION IT’S A PAIN IN THE FUCKING ASS TO MOVE ANYWHERE, SINCE YOU NEED TO START WALKING LIKE SOMEONE OUT OF A MONTY PYTHON SKIT JUST TO GET AROUND EFFICIENTLY. ALSO THAT ADDED WEIGHT MAKES YOUR FEET ACHE SOMETHING AWFUL. SO WHAT CAN YOU DO?
WELL GUESS WHAT. YOU CAN’T TAKE ASPRIN. ABSOLUTELY NO ASPRIN. NO IBUPROFEN, NO NAPROXEN NO NOTHING.
SO NOT ONLY ARE YOU IN PROBABLY THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE YOU WILL EVER BE, BUT YOUR MEDICINE CHOICES ARE EXTREMELY FUCKING LIMITED. (AND NO, I MENTIONED NO CHOCOLATE EITHER.)
DO YOU GUYS NOT REALIZE THAT THE FATE OF SOCIETY AND THE HUMAN RACE IN GENERAL IS BASED ON THE FACT THAT WOMEN MOSTLY CHOOSE TO GET PREGNANT? FOR LITTLE TO NO REWARD?! THE UNITED STATES ONLY GIVES 12 UNPAID WEEKS OF MATERNITY LEAVE ON AVERAGE.
YOU WOULD THINK THAT THE FUCKING PROCESS BY WHICH OUR POPULATION CONTINUES TO GROW WOULD BE FUCKING REWARDED AND CELEBRATED, NOT SWEPT UNDER THE FUCKING RUG LIKE A PIECE OF FUCKING DUST.
Greatest rant ever.
You forgot alcohol. Which really should have been the first thing mentioned…
Well, we just assume alcohol is not on the average every-day consumption list and it’s kinda obvious you can’t drink or smoke or participare in a gang bang once you’re pregnant.
one of those things is not like the other
But it really is terrible that politicians are always throwing around vague ideas like “protecting family values”, and yet they refuse to force business to give mothers paid leave during late pregnancy and the child’s first year or months. You know, literally protecting the mom’s ability to raise her child and family and not lose her job.
There are veeery few countries in the world that don’t mandate paid maternity leave (and there are many that provide paternity leaves as well).
Liberia, Suriname and Papua New Guinea and the United States
All because we’re so terrified of the government interfering with the rights of businesses, we throw away the rights and protection of moms and parents during their most vulnerable time and their child’s most formative months.
Coping Tool Kit/Calm Box/Self-Care Package: It is often helpful for clients to have a central place to keep items that will help them cope, and to prevent regression after termination. I have clients decorate their box and fill it with anything they feel will help to look back on.
- Distractors: When anxiety first starts to build it is sometimes helpful to do a distractor task to keep anxiety at a more manageable level. Examples are fidgets, sensory activities, puzzles, brain teasers, coloring/drawing materials, etc.
- Coping Tools: Include multiple options of coping tools that help manage anxiety (ex. emotional regulation activities, comforting items, meditation/breathing exercises, etc.)
- Reminders of Supports: Photos and letters from family/friends. Encouraging letters from yourself could also be a nice addition.
- Means of Self-Expression: My view is that use of the box for distraction/coping should be followed by some means of self-expression or processing. Suggestions of items to include are a journal, art supplies/sketch book, etc.
- Resource List: Include a list of community resources, referrals, hotline numbers, etc. incase they become necessary.
- Grounding Techniques: Write down a few of your favorite grounding techniques to do when needed. Click here for suggestions.
- Therapy Materials: Interventions, work done in sessions, note from therapist, photos of important sand trays, etc.
- Self-Care: Include self-care items as well as self-care reminders (ex. calendar, self-care goals, etc.)
Does anyone have any other suggestions for what helps you or your clients?
This is such a great idea. When I stop seeing my therapist I will definitely make a box like this. Maybe even do so before then, just to have. Along the lines of grounding techniques, keep some grounding objects in the box. Just anything you can easily hold and feel when you need to stay grounded. Some of my favourite grounding objects include objects that were given to me from people who mean a lot to me. My ex and I went to Lake Superior and she gave me a rock and kept one for her and said now we both have a piece of the lake with each other. I like rocks because they have a rough texture and it’s easy to focus on how the texture feels beneath your finger tips. Really, anything with some sort of texture is amazing. Soft, fuzzy things are also really great.
i’m so happy this set of pictures exists. I’M NOT ALONE!
Every day ):
Congrats, you’re human :))
No but seriously, imagine if you digestive system couldn’t expend to accomodate food? You’d be in terrible pain every time you eat and would have to consume little quantities of liquid all day long to get your nutrition.
I need reminding sometimes.Tvhis is important
It’s so easy for me to forget that this is normal. Hope this is some helpful peace of mind for all you out there stressing over weight loss or weight gain
She’s really working it on the treadmill…
honestly this seems like an awesome way to work out good for you lady